Greek Islands in September
Q. When is the best time to visit Santorini?
- Best Time for Swimming and Suntanning: The warmest weather in the Greek islands is between June and September when it’s sunny, hot and the water is perfect for swimming. Water temperature heats throughout the summer months and is warmest in August and early September. Swimming in May and October is often possible but can’t be guaranteed.
- Best Time for Sightseeing: If you’re visiting Santorini more for the sights, views, wineries, and food then you don’t need hot weather just warm pleasant weather. So the months of April, May, October, and early November (as well as June through September) are fine times for touring the sights. The weather is still warm by northern european standards though there can be rain and some warmer clothing should be packed.
- Best Time for Saving Money: Hotels are much cheaper in the low season (December to March) and shoulder season (April, May, October and November) than in the summer months. Transportation, food, and drink prices tend not to vary much by season. If you want good weather but cheap hotels then late May, early June, late September, or early October are the great times. There are no guarantees but the first three weeks of October can often surprise visitors with great weather.
- High Season (late June to early September): Hot, sunny weather with lots of people – but never so many that it’s unenjoyable. Prices are at their peak. Sea water at its warmest and best for swimming. Ferries and flights run with the greatest frequency. If you’re in Greece for the nightlife then this is the time to visit.
- Shoulder Season (May and June, September and October): Great weather. Sunny and warm but not blazingly hot like the summer. Tourists are many but it’s never crowded. Everything is open and ferries are running nearly all of their routes. The sea might not be warm enough for swimming in May and October.
- Low Season (November to April): This is winter and that means gray skies, cool weather, and rain. Few hotels and restaurants are operating (but enough to get by). Ferries and flights have very limited schedules though there’ll be at least one a day going to Athens.
Cruisin @ the Greek Islands - September 2014
Share this Post
Honeymoon in Greek Islands
MAY 29, 2023
If you are having your honeymoon in autumn or winter, naturally you go to Paris. If you are having your honeymoon in spring…Read More
Best Greek islands in October
MAY 29, 2023
We are frequently asked if the Greek islands are worth to visit in winter time, which practically means from November to…Read More